Recipes - salads
Perfect as a healthy main course summer salad, or for a delicious starter.
Hass Avocado and Prawn Ceviche
Serves 2 as a main course, or 4 as a starter
Preparation, cooking, chilling time: 40 minutes
- 350g raw king prawns
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 large Hass avocado, halved, pitted and peeled, then cut into 1cm cubes
- 1/2 cucumber, deseeded and diced into 1cm cubes
- A handful of fresh coriander or parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 litres of water and a large pinch of salt to the boil. Add the prawns and cook for 2 minutes maximum, then remove with a slotted spoon and immediately transfer to a bowl of iced water to prevent further cooking (and turning the prawns rubbery). Drain well, then place in a bowl (not a metal one) and add the lemon and lime juice, mixing well.
- Add the red onion and chilli, stirring to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and add the avocado, cucumber and coriander or parsley. Season with salt and pepper, mix well, then spoon into attractive dishes or glasses and serve.
(c) 2012 ProHass and Chilean Hass Avocados Association